pillow talk | family outtakes | getting the shot

Words of wisdom:  Never trust a crazy kid with the camera clicker.  Never.

I planned this session for my own family for months.  Where it would be, the time of day, our outfits, our props.  I worked hard on shopping for vintage sheets and pillow cases.  Then for pillows with which to make the throw pillows.  How many blankets it would take in addition to the blow-up mattress to fill the bed of Paul's truck.  How cool the red truck would look next to our friends' blue out-building.  Then it all came crumbling down.

The mattress was smaller than I thought.  I didn't bring enough filler blankets and the side of the out-building I wanted to use was not blue.

I usually do really well when things don't go as planned unless photos are involved and/or I have spent countless months planning and am positive it will all go as planned.  Generally I can roll with the punches, go with the flow, blow with the wind...

I had no "plan B."

Between my girls and Paul, they came to the rescue.  With level heads they came up with a "plan B" on the spot and I believe it worked out as well as the first plan would have.

As the photographer it usually gets a bit tricky when shooting your own family photos.  It's hard to be silly and spontaneous when you have to run back and forth to check the shots taken, the lighting, the placement of family members and the focus.  It's a bit easier when you have a cordless remote.  A bit.

Here's what happens when you allow your crazy teen-aged daughter to be in charge of the remote.  I got my candid shots I have always wanted and enjoyed the entire process!









No comments: